Why does my scalp itch
This is a problem that can manifest due to a variety of reasons. Here are some of the major causes of scalp itch:
1. Dry, unwashed scalp: If you do not wash your scalp and hair regularly, the oily secretions from the sebaceous glands under the scalp begin to clog the pores and make the scalp itchy. So, it is important to regularly shampoo your hair to make the scalp oil-free, dirt-free and moisturized. You should go for a shampoo with a pH value between 4.5 and 5.5.
2. Dandruff: Dandruff in the form of white flakes in the hair is another reason to make the scalp itch. You can control this by using some of the best branded shampoos to counter dandruff problems.
3. Allergic reaction to a particular hair product: At times, you may see that even though you keep your scalp clean by regular shampooing, you still get itchy sensation in your scalp. This can be due to the fact that your scalp skin is reacting adversely to a particular shampoo, conditioner or hair product. To be on the safe side, you can ask a dermatologist to prescribe you a good brand of hair product that may not only treat the itch but also prevent any further occurrence.
4. Sun burns can also cause the itching. Your dermatologist may prescribe you a topical cream that can counteract the itchy scalp caused due to sunburn.
5. Hair dyes: If you are using a cheap quality hair dye or if the chemicals in that particular brand do not agree with your scalp, you may suffer from an irritated scalp.
6. Lice: Lice is one of the biggest reasons for itchy scalp. Whitish or grayish minute eggs on your hair indicate lice. Compared to dandruff, these attach themselves to single strands of hair and do not shift from their place, when you touch them. You can go for over-the-counter treatments or in case of a severe problem, ask a dermatologist to treat this problem.
7. Improper diet: Itchy scalp can also result due to poor diet resulting from lack of Vitamin B, Vitamin C, protein, Zinc and Iron. In some cases, excess Vitamin A can also cause this problem.
8. Seborrhoeic dermatitis: Seborrhoeic dermatitis or eczema of the scalp is also one of the reasons for itchy scalp. This kind of skin condition can be treated only by a qualified dermatologist.